Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Saturday, January 7, 2012

Super Sleuth Saturday: The Moustached Man from Wisconsin

I thought it would be a fun idea to post one of my more challenging photos and let my blog readers have a chance to figure out who my mystery subject is without my speculations getting in the way.  I will post what I know about the photograph and see what you can come up with.

Are you up for the challenge?  Here's the picture:


There is only this inscription on the back of the photograph:


Provenance can help make connections and narrow down the research area.  I found this photograph at an antique store on Vancouver Island, BC, in a pile of photos which contained a few identified pictures:

1)  A portrait photo of Julius J. Neuman, taken at the Ridgeway Studio, Madision Wisconsin, circa 1900-1910.  I've reunited this photo with a family member already.  Julius moved to Saskatchewan, Canada sometime after the photo was taken.

2) A cabinet card photo of Louis A. Schilling and Ida Amelia Koch Schilling, taken at the H.F. Mielenz Studio in Stanton, Nebraska circa 1890s.  This photograph has been reunited with a family member in Alabama.

3) A cabinet card photo of Fred Leuben, taken at the Sawyer Studio, Horicon, Wisconsin circa late 1880s-1890s. 

The three photographs found with the mystery photograph must have some connection to each other, however remotely.

So, who is this mystery man?


2 comments:

  1. It's me again. Interesting case.

    I might have found something.

    First, I started with how I was reading the last name: Hoehschoilt. Didn't find anything on Google, but did find a Hochschild query on the Dodge County Wisconsin GenWeb site found here: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~widodge/surnames.htm

    This led me to the 1880 Horicon, Dodge County Wisconsin census. I found a Hochschild family two houses from Julius Neuman, in the household of his parents John & Rhoda. You actually have to go to the next page to see Julius but the page that has the Hochschild family is located here: http://ow.ly/8lUNM

    Very interesting that they are living so close to the Neuman family that has Julius in it.

    Again, not related to any of the families, just like the hunt.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah! Great detective work on our mystery man! I think you are probably right about the surname being Hochschild. While surname on the 1880 census is hard to make out, it's very clear on the 1900 census, and the data matches the 1880 Hochschild census data.

    The Julius you found is the same Julius J. Neuman in the pictures I found. His parents were John Gottlieb and Dorothea Henschel Neuman (although she appears as Rhoda here), but the children match the information I have. Very interesting find!

    How old do you think the man in the photo is? Do you think it's Fred Sr.?

    ReplyDelete