Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Woman with Many Names: Sara Miller Pollock Johnson, Missouri, c1890


Sometimes there a thing as too many names, especially when those names, for the most part, are fairly common surnames.  This photo of a very lovely young woman is inscribed on the reverse "Sara Miller Pollock Johnson" in purple ballpoint ink, indicating it was not written at the time the photo was taken.  Sara was photographed in Kansas City, Missouri by D.P. Thomson at 610 Main Street (established 1873).  I was a little wary of researching this one because of the surname issue.  I wasn't sure if Miller was a surname or middle name.  I didn't know if Pollock was a married name, and Johnson was the name of a second husband. 

My concerns were short-lived.  I found Sara M. Pollock's marriage to W. C. Johnson in the Missouri Marriages, 1805-2002 database.  They were married 16 Nov. 1893 in Mexico, Audrain County, Missouri.  The record did not provide ages or birth dates, but a check of the 1910 US Federal Census finds Sarah Johnson, 41, b. Indiana with her husband William, 43, born Kentucky, who is a candy manufacturer.  They are living in the home of Sarah's father, William Pollock, 71 born in Indiana, occupation: miller.  The Johnson's two sons:  Douglas Pollock Johnson, 13 and William Johnson, 10 are also living there as well.

I think I found Sarah's mother in the Mexico City Cemetery Interments for 1908 from the Intelligencer newspaper: Pollock, Mrs. William (Sarah Elizebeth Walker), buried Feb 27, 1908.  This fits with what I found in the 1870 Census for Salt River, Audrain County, Missouri:

William Pollock, 39, b. PA
Sarah Pollock, 31, b. IN
William Pollock, 3, b. PA
Sarah Pollock, 2, b. IN

But, back to the Johnsons.  The 1920 census shows Sarah, her husband and the two boys still living with Sarah's father.

Sometime between 1920 and 30, the Johnsons moved to Ohio.  In the 1930 Census for Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, William is listed as the president of a Candy Factory.  The son, William W., is an attorney for a law firm.  William B. Elam, a nephew, 21, is living with the family.  His occupation is Chemist, Soap factory.  Douglas P. is not part of the household.

I wonder what sort of candy William C. Johnson manufactured?



No comments:

Post a Comment