Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Friday, April 13, 2012

A Fine Young Gentleman: Harold Beamish, Shoal Lake, Manitoba, Circa 1905



Harold Beamish had this portrait taken at the Lawrence Studio in Birtles or Shoal Lake, Manitoba.  I would date the photo sometime around 1905-1910, taking into account the style of photograph and Harold's attire.  After speaking with a volunteer from the Birdtail Country Museum in Birtles, I learned that A. J. Lawrence was in the photography business in Birtles from the early 1900s to about 1947.

I could find only one Harold Beamish in Manitoba at the beginning of the 20th century that might fit the bill.  I can't say with absolute certainty that I have the correct Harold Beamish but an 18-year-old with that name appears in the 1906 Canada Census living in the Shoal Lake area.  His parents were William and Sophia Beamish.  He had eight siblings:  Georgiana Beamish (Wilkie), Imer E. Beamish, Samuel R. Beamish, Margaret M. Beamish, William H. Beamish, Robert W. Beamish, and Mary Ann Beamish.   Harold enlisted as a soldier in the First World War in 1917.  In the registration document his birthdate is given as the 29th of July, 1888, Harding, Manitoba.  

Harold died on the 17th of February 1954 in New Westminster, BC at the age of 65.

1 comment: