Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Friday, November 16, 2012

It's Our Blogversary! McCandlish House, Victoria BC, 1907



First off, today's a good day to celebrate.  Family Photo Reunion has been in existence for one full year now.  I wasn't sure I could make it to November 16th,  through what has proven to be a very busy year, but here we are!

Our post today revolves around this real postcard from Victoria, BC.  It was written by Emma McCandlish, and addressed to Mrs. W. Harlock at 181 Fort Street, Victoria.  Emma McCandlish ran a boarding house in Victoria in 1892 at 63 Superior.  She was still at this property in 1906.  While I didn't have access to the 1907 BC Directory, I did find Emma in the directory for the following year at 534 Superior.



I had a little cyber-walk down Superior Street, thanks to Google Maps today, and I couldn't find a house similar to this one.  If this is, indeed, a picture of her own home, I have a feeling that house is long gone.  Do you see that stately building off in the distance on the left hand side of the image?  I'm wondering if it might be one of the Parliament buildings.

The BC Archives has a collection of correspondence once belonging to Emma McCandlish.  I think it would be fun to have a look the next time I'm down in Victoria.

If you'd like to get a sense of what Victoria was like in 1907, I found a great little video on Youtube.  Emma McCandlish would have been very familiar with these sights.  Who knows, she might even be in the film somewhere.  Enjoy!


7 comments:

  1. First of all, congratulations on your blogiversary.

    Second, I just love old photos. and wish that a lot of my really old ones were labeled somehow so I would know who they are. Also I just wanted to let you know I mentioned your blog today on a series I do on my blog today called Follow Friday.

    Regards, Jim
    Hidden Genealogy Nuggets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim,
    Thank you so very much for the congratulations and the Follow Friday post on your most-excellent blog! I really appreciate that. It's been a fun year and I've been very happy with the number of photos and other items that were reunited this year through FPR. Hope you stop by again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 1st Blogversary! I enjoy your posts and only wish I could help identify the people.
    all the best,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Iggy & Ruth! I appreciate the good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Blogiversary. I'm getting close to my 1st month as a member. As I get to know some of you, I realize what a great community this is.

    Grant
    thestephensherwoodletters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 1st blogiversary from one BCer to another! At first, I thought that stately building might be Craigdarroch Castle, but then realized it's too far to the east. It's probably the Parliament building, since it has its frontage on Belleville and its back on Superior. Maybe a Victoria resident can weigh in :)

    ReplyDelete