Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Monday, November 26, 2012

Monday's Mystery: The Hepworth Sisters, Isle of Man, Circa 1882-



This is one of three carte de visite images in a set connected to the Hepworth family.  It has the following information written on the back:  "The three Hepworth sisters.  The central figure is Louisa Hepworth who married Arthur Marsall and became Lady Marshall."

The other two images were taken at the William Smith Studio, Park Lane, Leeds, probably two or three years earlier than the above image.  They are both labelled, "One of the three Hepworth girls."

I had a look at some of the UK censuses, searching specifically for a Louisa Hepworth who married an Arthur Marsall or Marshall.  I found many Louisa Hepworths but none that are obvious candidates.

We know this cdv dates to after 1881 because there are a number of photographic prize medals won by Abel Lewis imprinted on the back; the most recent, a medal dated 1881 from Newcastle's Swan Plate Competition.

If anyone has access to one of the UK databases such as Find My Past, I'd appreciate a look up to see if we can find the marriage of Louisa Hepworth and Arthur Marshall/Marsall.




2 comments:

  1. http://carterfamily.co.za/364.htm shows Louisa Hepworth married Arthur Harold Marshall in 1896 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England.

    Source: England & Wales Marriage Index: 1837-1983 Volume 9b Page 1036 Leeds June Quarter

    ReplyDelete