Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Friday, May 2, 2014

The Hardy-Spooner Album: To Betsy Baker with Compliments, 1868-69



"To Betsy Baker With Mrs. M???? compls" - 1868-69

As promised in a previous post, I am revisiting the Hardy-Spooner album with another image from its pages.  This carte de visite was taken in the Asplet & Green Studio at 18 1/2 Beresford Street, Jersey.  Its inscription reads, "To Betsy Baker With Mrs M---'s compls."  Perhaps the album belonged to Betsy Baker, but it may have also belonged to a number of owners as it contains photographs from about 1860 right up to about 1925 with quite a few families represented.

This particular image can be dated to about 1868-69 through the style of photographer's imprint on the back thanks to Jerseyfamilyhistory.co.uk who have kindly posted examples on their site of Asplet & Green's imprints through the years.


Before we can try to figure out who the woman is, we need to try to decipher her surname on the inscription.  Perhaps you can help.  I see "Mrs. Monder" or "Mrs. Mouder."  I haven't had much luck with either surname in my searches.  How do you read the inscription?  Sometimes a second set of eyes (or a dozen!) can reveal something new. 


I hope you will share your conclusions in the comments section.


4 comments:

  1. I think I see Mosider - would that work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be--I was searching a bit more on Ancestry and noticed that there was a Mouder listed in the 1901 England census...turns our Mouder was actually Moucher. But I don't know if this makes sense in light that they didn't seem to live on Jersey. Matilda Moucher (maiden name unknown) was born there, though. Hmmm...this one's a toughie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://genealogywings.com/getperson.php?personID=I541&tree=MotyerJM

    This person's penmanship leaves a lot to be desired!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Motyer? Looks like the census transcribers had the same problem as we're having...if that's Moyter...all I can say is "wow." Thanks for looking this up for us!

    ReplyDelete